St John's is a Church of England
Voluntary Aided Primary School attached to the Church of St.
John the Baptist, Clay Hill. Founded in 1867 for the
promotion of a Christian Education, it was remodelled in
1969 as a village school.
At this time there were just two classrooms in the
school and around 54 pupils. In 1997
allowed the school to purchase their hall, this became the
current school hall enabling the original school hall to be
turned into a third classroom. Further building work in 2001
provided a fourth classroom, and formed the school as it
The church foundation governors are in
the majority on the governing body, the staff are employed
by the governors and the governors are responsible for all
that happens in school.